Friday 5 July 2013

First week out of hospital

One week out of hospital! 

Just to put into perspective the magnitude of the procedure I had last week i have decided to share a few images that i have. My Vascular surgeon Bill Campbell was kind enough to pass on these to me. They show both the left and right Plantaris that he removed from the back of my leg. When looking at the Plantaris in anatomy books, it doesn't look very big, but seeing it in the flesh has certainly made me understand why it is I am so sore and can barely move around. Apologies for those who find this a little full on. But I am keen to share them, as staring at these makes me feel happy as i figure these two pieces of tissue have cost me so much over the last 3 years, and i am glad that they are now out of me and hopefully will ensure my popliteal artery is no longer being impinged.



Below is a close up shot of one of the Plantaris tissues.



When i was looking at this picture prior to surgery i didn't really comprehend how invasive the surgery was. Looking at this picture it just looks so simple, just removing the plantaris... easy as. Looking back i was just a little bit ignorant.



These last two photos gives you a little more of an idea of the number of procedures that i have had to date. Here you can see three incisions on each leg. And the photo below shows the incisions from earlier this year behind my knee.



 This last photo is showing the incisions that i had early this year, where i had a surgeon have a little bit of a stab in the dark at fixing my issue, this procedure did absolutely nothing. I knew within 20km of being back on my bike that my legs were still not right, symptoms being numb foot and cramping calf... not ideal. And something i will elaborate more on in the future, but having surgery only to realise it was unsuccessful is not an easy thing to deal with and to say it caused some problems in my life would be an understatement as those close to me are well aware of.




So hopefully for those of you unfamiliar with my history, seeing these photos puts things into more perspective. 

To briefly summarise the last week since i left hospital. I have basically been unable to stand even assisted with crutches. Only today have i felt able to put some pressure on my feet. I think the best example i can give is that i have been sliding along the ground to get the kitchen and the bathroom and to move around the house. Life's two essentials at the moment.. Walking with crutches is still rather painful, and after a short walk from a car to a cafe, i am immediately searching for the pain killers. Hopefully over the next week i will be able to apply more pressure to my legs and begin to straighten my knee and flex my ankle more and more each day. It will be extremely exciting to be able to do small things in life like being able to walk from my room to the kitchen or couch, not having to crawl anymore will be a good first step... 

I have tried to keep this short and in some way slightly interesting. I have been using a video recorder to capture some of the last week, when i can work out how to share these clips with you I will be sure to post them so stay tuned for that. Also, if you have any questions, please feel free to comment and i will try and answer, however if you don't find this at all interesting i understand and do not require comments informing me of this.  
Cheers, John 


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have literally just became aware of your story and I have to admit that I've been crying like a baby since. It's not uninteresting AT ALL! On the contrary is unbelievably inspiring, especially for one who understands your kind.
    I'm also a rower on the "race to recovery". I had to stop training just before the last qualifying races for London, after trying to bare through pre-Olympic year training having severe back pain and leg numbness for the last 7 months of my training to the qualifiers. Since then, I spent 102 days immobilized in bed, having chiropractic treatments every single day - since the other option was to go under 3 operations in 18 months that would set my 9 dislocated vertebra back into place, option which I rejected due to high risk of permanent paralysis. On day 103, I was able to stand for about 3 minutes after which I couldn't bare the weight of my own head. Taking baby steps day after day I managed to get into the sea where I was only allowed to float on my back initially, then started swimming. Swimming and core work were the only thing I was allowed to do from June 2012 to April 2013, when I was allowed to ride a recumbent bike, then upright bike, then spin bike. By the end of May I was allowed to start running 10 minutes each day. By the end of August I managed to run a full hour doing less than 10km/h. End of October I ran the 10km in 48', and can now run 12,6km/h. FINALLY, I have been granted permission to start rowing again taking it very slow with 5 minutes a day. For some reason I'm terrified to start. Not because of the pain, not because I'm afraid I'll get injured again, but unfortunately because I've started losing faith to myself than I can still do it and chase my dream to the Olympics. I'm 29 years old you see and it takes a massive effort to bring my body back to where it was 22 months ago. I'm still having treatment for my back problem but it's only once every 2 months now and everything has been going great for the last 6 months, still fear is there.
    Seeing your videos and reading your blog has been extremely inspirational to me. A real source of power, from one rower to another. I'm still terrified of the idea to even get back on the erg, but at least now I've found the power of will to try it. I going to buy my own Concept 2 Dynamic rower, as there's no support from the local federation (not that there was any before) and the moment I have it I'll get right back on it!
    Keep working hard and posting your achievements as I believe that you've inspired soooooooo many people apart from me and in times like this, where it's hard to find an "icon", a real-life hero to believe in, it's important that people like you exist to give others a mental push when they most need it.
    A million thank you and all my positive vibes sent out to you for a great comeback to rowing in 2014! Looking forward to watching you race in yellow and green and why not meet you in person in Rio 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello friend. Apologies for the delayed response, I have only just come across your comment on my blog! I am so grateful for your message. It sounds like I should be looking to you for inspiration. 102 days in bed!! that is tough. I am glad you are back making progress now. I understand completely how hard it is to return your body to the elite level required and it is frustrating starting it again. My motivation at the moment is that in 20 years time I want to look back at where I am now and be able to tell myself honestly that I gave it everything I had and that I couldn't have done anything more to have achieved my dreams. Please keep me updated. Im sure everybody reading my blog can take something away from your story. Keep fighting!
    Cheers, John

    ReplyDelete